Join our team
Labor & Employment Counsel
- Provides in-house legal counsel on employment related matters, which may include, but not be limited to, incentive compensation, wage and hour law, worker classification, unemployment and other state agency claims, employee benefits, employment agreements, handbooks, and policy related issues, leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, workplace investigations, manager training, employment related pre-litigation and litigation matters including administrative charges, background checks, hiring matters, termination matters, severance agreements, reorgs and layoffs, and generally assists the General Counsel and People Operations functions.
- Works closely with the Employee Relations and HR Business Partners functions to support issues that may arise.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable employment laws, regulations and policies.
- Participates in and influences the decision-making process with appropriate clients and stakeholders.
- Identifies and assesses legal risks and opportunities within the employment area and advises accordingly.
- Independently handles legal matters and projects ranging from basic to complex.
- Provide practical and solution focused legal advice and support on business matters in a fast-paced environment
- Recognizes when to elevate certain matters to the attention of the General Counsel.
- Supervises, manages and evaluates outside counsel on employment related matters, including litigation.
- Educates and trains internal stakeholders on legal matters, policies and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains relationships, credibility and trust with clients, stakeholders, legal team members and other colleagues.
- Performs other tasks as assigned from time to time by the General Counsel, Associate General Counsel or Senior Counsel.
- Law degree from an accredited law school and membership in a state bar with good standing
- 3+ years legal experience in-house or at a law firm
- Experience analyzing and advising on labor and employments laws in state and federal level, including California
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, judgment, communication (written and verbal), and interpersonal skills
- Experience leading projects, including collecting, distilling and summarizing issues from relevant stakeholders and moving projects forward
- Experience working in-house with a technology company and/or health care organization strongly preferred.
- Experience with a global workforce a plus
- Willing and eager to take on new areas of law and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment
- Ability to think quickly on your feet, provide concise advice, and simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities
- Ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace
- Sense of humor and strong affinity for team donut day
This is a remote role.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or any other category protected by law.Apply now